THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS AND THE GOSPEL OF MARIE MAGDALENE
EXPLORED BY AN INNOVATIVE THINKER
Faith by reasoning
One day I come across the 114 sayings of Jesus, known as the Gospel of Thomas. Ive had an active interest ever since, the asking is to find answers to those sayings. I presume the result would be different from every individual, according to faith, education and love for Jesus. The benefit is, for every answer right or wrong, the need of deep thought a search of mind and matter. It can be a rewarding task for a thinker, for his soul and spirit because an inquisitive nature will always find questions begging for answers. Those who have been taught early in their lives may believe and obey without question. If they are set to walk on the right pas they are save in the Lord. Those who are left to decide for them selves may accept the commandments without doubt, the two supreme commandments singled out by Jesus with all their heart. The peace through the Word with their entire logical being but find the difference, in the demands, within so many Christian ways to spiritual life somewhat uneasy. There must be a road that leads to Jesus, other than being taught and told to believe under constant supervision! A special way for the ever so more open minds, in this space age of reasoning, using the power of thought to pave a directive, leading on to the path of enlightenment entering this way to join the Lord at the end of such a road. If the power of your faith becomes strong enough you may find total fulfillment through the Son of man in solidarity within you, uninfluenced by the worry-some advice of others. But, in time, should you be in doubt why not chose one of the many conventional establishments, thus being prepared to make the right choice by the gained knowledge of the Word. The Gospel of Thomas, so some scholars, using considerable intellectual substance, criticizing the authenticity of its direct origin from the mouth of Jesus! They seem to be unaware of the immense value this Gospel has for ordinary, professional untrained, believers in God. The unique task that Thomas provides through his obvious presents about Jesus and the help so many people can receive there by to find their identity shadows any negative comment. I think therefor, as a whole in its system, that Jesus made this Gospel known (again) especially for these incomparable raging historic times for lost sheep and realistic intellect to find their way. The proof for this and a complete turn about of to days controversies (The DA Vinci code) is in the Gospel of Marie Magdalene. My mother had great respect for educated people! One day she talked to her doctor about life after death he declined this authoritatively to her. That worried my mother for some time. People like this doctor would be well advised to study the sayings to find a light through the fifth Apostle. Also this writing advises personal solidarity it does not suggest the exemption of the Word, on the contrary there is a directive to, a need for and many parallels to the main Gospels. The sayings also seem to materialize a bridge across the river of doctrines to Jesus. It is this suggested solitary study that benefits people who are shy and may not come to terms with a solder like obedience commanded to a multitude by an elevated leader. In times when few where literate this secluded freedom of drinking from His mouth was limited (or not desired at all) for this not being the case any more there is a real need now for such specialized nourishment to seek the truth and live within that truth. The Gospel of Thomas can be hereby experienced as a certain freedom to- and within faith, which no man can cancel on you. A trust in rightiones by which one can associate with Jesus in his very words come on to me for my yoke is easy and my lordship is mild and you will find repose for your selves. A problem arises by pushing this practice of Christian faith by a distinctive name. For which a membership would be necessary and doctrines to bind the followers. But the Internet can, by not choosing direct or binding contact, provide this solitary freedom and still generate a feel of belonging because it is right there in front of you. Any one can share or compare their believe and experience in faith and its logical progress, without burdening demands but honest reasoning in the truth of the word, to gain faith in ones self and in ones spiritual destiny.
Having said the above it is time to look at the sayings. The Gospel
of Thomas is available on the Internet. To get there use google, type
in, the Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Thomas Collection. This presents
a wealth of information you can lock on to, such as a variety of translations
of the sayings some with additional information. The Gospel of Thomas
Commentary (if complete) is one of the most helpful for this quest but
the text seem to suffer under financial suspension (at times?). If you
can get to this page on the right you have a (to bass or to a root sentence,
with some negative exemptions) extreme simplification of the sayings
(see last page). On the left, click on the sayings 1, 2, 3 etc to 114
you find a treasure of every thing. It may be a good idea not to indulge
to deeply into the interpretations of the sayings, no matter where they
may be found, until you produced a set of answers yourself. By attempting
to solve the sayings in knowledge of such intellect, you could get discouraged
and abstract your own ability; further more confuse the main avenues
the context, the Word, or both. If you cant resist consider that
these informed people seem to contradict each other at times. So what
so ever the layman concludes cant be all unimportant. You see
all I got is imagination but still a progression of learning sustains
as a reward. Should some earthly authority judge you're effort in an
unfriendly way tell them that you rather leave it to the final Judge.
Take it slowly, a year if you have the time! I have included some of
my answers, in parallel with 21 of the corresponding sayings, which
could be used, as an example of how it can be conceived by any individual.
I added 21 simplified answers from the Gospel of Thomas Commentary
on the last page. There is an abundance of material on the web sides,
concerning the Gospel of Thomas, either for free or by purchase. It
is beneficial to use more than one translation, as on occasion there
is a slide variation in the wording that could make a difference to
understand it. I think if one finds an answer for every saying it is
good to go over and over again to enhance or change them. If one realizes
there is no more progress take a break and start afresh all over again.
You need to surge every where most of all within. It does not matter
if you cant match the experts. It is important that you find answers
with in the capacity of your own self. Answers that you will have are
the product of your thoughts and your thoughts are the mirror of your
mind. Look into this mirror! Getting to analyze your thoughts is getting
to know your mind than you can control it with your soul on your right
and your spirit on your left. It will be well worth the effort for who
so dwells in the sayings, dwells in the Word and who dwells in the Word
is near the kingdom. Remember, you are looking for eternity and the
peace to get you there is only found in the embrace of time not in a
(Visit the Gospel of Thomas Collection for additional information)
These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down. ANSWERES ARE UNDERLINED.
(1) And he said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death." To try is to be near the source.
(2) Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over all." Seek until your spirit earns a place in Jesus in the Father and as one you are part to rule over all.
(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty." If you find out who you are you will realize your shortcomings in accordance with the Word. You will see that a person, who lives by the Word and becomes one is known to the Father. He will become a brother to the righteous in Jesus in the Father in spirit and need not vanish with the terminal poverty of the flesh but can be reborn as a living spirit, the Holy Spirit within and the Holy Spirit out there, in the light - the kingdom.
(4) Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live. For many who are first will become last, and they will become one and the same." To find the path that leads to life it seems better to acquire the wisdom to search within innocence and truth, than ask those who seem to be first, as they could become last and you will be one with them.
(5) Jesus said, "Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you. For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest." That which you can see and understand will lead to an answer, for that which you didnt understand and consequently, step by step, that which is hidden will reveal it self to you.
(6) His disciples questioned him and said to him, "Do you want
us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we
(7) Jesus said, "Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man." Have righteousness overcome evil within you not the adverse. Arm the man within you by the Word to find the strength to consume the lion (the beast) within you, to become one in Jesus in the Father.
(8) And he said, "The man is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of small fish. Among them the wise fisherman found a fine large fish. He threw all the small fish back into the sea and chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear." Of the many roads choose the correct road to God, through Jesus Christ the way and the Light.
(9) Jesus said, "Now the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered them. Some fell on the road; the birds came and gathered them up. Others fell on the rock, did not take root in the soil, and did not produce ears. And others fell on thorns; they choked the seed(s) and worms ate them. And others fell on the good soil and it produced good fruit: it bore sixty per measure and a hundred and twenty per measure." Explained by Jesus, M 4 : 14. As follows! The farmer (Jesus) sows the Word. 15 Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the Word that was sown in them. 16 Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the Word and at ones receive it with joy. 17 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the Word, they quickly fallaway.18 Still others, like seed sown among the thorn, hear the Word; 19 but the worries of this live, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the Word, making it unfruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the Word, accept it, and produce a crop-thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown.
(10) Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes." Jesus cast the word up on the people guarding it until it is known, there after to be taught by teachers worldwide.
(11) Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. In the days when you consumed what is dead, you made it what is alive. When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? Be joy full and join the brothers in righteousness. On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?" If the heavens pass away the righteous each as one in the light will not die but if you become two, you the man repent and consume the lion (what is dead) within you again to become one and rejoin the righteous.
(12) The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that you will depart from us. Who is to be our leader?" Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being." Choose only righteous people, in the Lord, as your leaders!
(13) Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to someone and tell
me whom I am like."
(14) Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves; and if you pray, you will be condemned; and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits. When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you." Teach the word, dont show of to the people with to them unknown rituals or faked intentions, dont defile yourself foul mouthing, act and speak righteously and heal the sick.
(15) Jesus said, "When you see one who was not born of woman, prostrate yourselves on your faces and worship him. That one is your father." Those who have seen the Son have seen the Father, if He appears, it is Him you worship
(16) Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to cast upon the world. They do not know that it is dissension, which I have come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war. For there will be five in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand solitary." The Word cast upon the earth will come into dissention and conflict with the pagan ways through self centered misunderstanding and ignorance between young and old, father and son and between members of families.
(17) Jesus said, "I shall give you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never occurred to the human mind." Jesus means to give us eternal life, by being reborn, as a living spirit.
(18) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
(19) Jesus said, "Blessed is he who came into being before he came into being. If you become my disciples and listen to my words, these stones will minister to you. For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall. Whoever becomes acquainted with them will not experience death." Blessed is he being an angel who dwells with us in the flesh. For he is acquainted with the chosen apostles of the paradise and to the kingdom he will return. Blest are the elect for they will have gained knowledge through the word and they are worthy to become blest in Jesus.
(20) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us what the kingdom of
heaven is like."
(21) Mary said to Jesus, "Whom are your disciples like?"
The Gospel of Marie Magdalene, explored, is not included here to this date.
To find the address below, click on Early Christian Writings, click on Gospel of Thomas, Click on Gospel of Thomas Commentary.
The Gospel of Thomas Commentary
This site explores modern interpretations of the Gospel
according to 2222Thomas, an ancient text preserved in a Coptic
translation at Nag Hammadi and Greek fragments at Oxyrhynchus.
With no particular slant, this commentary gathers together
Quotations from various scholars in order to elucidate the meaning
of the sayings, many of which are rightly described as "obscure."
Don't forget to bookmark the Gospel of Thomas Commentary to come
Gospel of Thomas Prologue - Jesus spoke and Thomas wrote
Gospel of Thomas Saying 1 - Importance of interpreting the obscure sayings
Gospel of Thomas Saying 2 - Seek until you find
Gospel of Thomas Saying 3 - The kingdom is within us
Gospel of Thomas Saying 4 - The first will be last
Gospel of Thomas Saying 5 - The obscure will become disclosed
Gospel of Thomas Saying 6 - True fasting, prayer, and charity
Gospel of Thomas Saying 7 - The lion and the human being
Gospel of Thomas Saying 8 - A parable of an intelligent fisherman
Gospel of Thomas Saying 9 - A parable of a sower
Gospel of Thomas Saying 10 - Jesus has cast fire
Gospel of Thomas Saying 11 - The living will not die
Gospel of Thomas Saying 12 - The disciples will come to James
Gospel of Thomas Saying 13 - The disciples tell Jesus what he resembles
Gospel of Thomas Saying 14 - True fasting, prayer, and charity
Gospel of Thomas Saying 15 - One not born of woman
Gospel of Thomas Saying 16 - Jesus has come to impose divisions
Gospel of Thomas Saying 17 - Jesus will bestow what has not been perceived
Gospel of Thomas Saying 18 - The end is where the beginning is
Gospel of Thomas Saying 19 - The preexistent is blessed, Five trees In paradise
Gospel of Thomas Saying 20 - A parable of a mustard seed
Gospel of Thomas Saying 21 - A parable of children living in a plot of land
Post Box 3009, Bundeena, NSW, 2230 AUSTRALIA firstname.lastname@example.org